Monday, July 18, 2011

Provence - Day 5

On the previous day, I had checked that there were some short boat tours which took you along Marseille and the adjoining areas with some lovely looking creeks. Since I had my flight back early in the evening, I took the first tour starting at 9:30. I checked out and kept my luggage at the hotel and headed to the port for my ride. I took a seat at the top of the boat and thus started the small voyage. We left the port and off we went.


On the way we saw a small island with a Chateau or castle at a distance. I got to know that on the way back we had the option to get off on that island and take the next ferry back to the Marseille port. The main attraction of that island was Cateau d'If. In olden times this fortress like castle was used as a prison for political and religious prisoners. The strategic location of the island served well as a prison virtually impossible to escape. But what made this prison most famous in modern times was that this is the same prison which appears in Dumas' famous novel The Count of Monte Cristo. Those who know the story will relate well with the picture below.


The rest I would say, better let the pictures do the talking.







I wouldn't really mind living in a house like in the picture below when I retire. What more can you ask from life in the last phase of your life.


So this is where I would like to end my journey to Provence. It was a memorable trip with many sights and views which will remain in my memory for a long time. The only sad part was that like on most trips, I wish I had a few more days to explore some more lovely villages and towns.

No comments: